Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Shorthanded Shot Callers make plenty of noise at #IBC


The Shot Callers rolled in on Saturday from the West Columbia area and I knew I would be in for a treat, not only because I've been following the team since former A&M Corpus Christ star played for them and battled against my younger daughter but because I had a chance to catch a couple of their players that impressed me at the Cy Fair Evaluation Camp I covered earlier this year which once again shows, "be where I am because I not only watch, I remember"


Dajinique Harris and Chantel Ward were a couple of those players that impressed me at the camp, nothing has changed after the weekend especially after I saw them continue to operate in the paint, run the floor and defend but the main thing they know how to do is use their size and even more importantly go hard baseline to baseline, mind you they only had six players on the team. Harris and Ward also showed they could score but they had some other help like Kayonna Davis who exploded from the wing relentlessly and Alexis Alexander who's athleticism brought a variety of moves not mention very good ball handling and the ability to see the floor



These young ladies simply got after it the whole event, one thing you can't teach is heart and playing in the top division with only six for the whole tournament speaks volumes. Between Ondreea Hall's athleticism on both ends of the court and Essence Kyle's strength, these young ladies left a lasting impression as they truly took me back to the past because they just showed the will to fight through it all