Monday, March 4, 2013

Freshmen trio still growing at Cy Fair Evaluation Camp

Faith Cook (Goose Creek Memorial)

I think I've probably mentioned Faith Cook, Angela Harris and Jae Branch more than any of the other freshmen in the city, primarily because I caught a glimpse of what to expect from each one when they were in the sixth grade, Cook and Harris, and Branch even earlier as a fifth grader. They were all on center stage at the Cy Fair Evaluation Camp and made me think about those initial sightings
Angela Harris (Cy Fair)

All three showed they could play with the "big girls" at early ages and although they all have a loaded arsenal of weapons offensively, they all have a unique style of their own. Cook and Harris are small guards that can take defenders off the dribble with ease and both have the ability to hit the mid-range and long ball with best of them, not to mention bring the heat on the defensive end and show that "never say quit" fire that has them playing taller than their height.

Both have also added a little something special to their games, Cook the step back which is becoming a monster go to move and Harris even more acrobatics with her ability to hang in the air as it appears time is almost suspended

Jae Branch (Lutheran North)

Branch is a bigger guard that has had to play multiple positions throughout her career and it has helped her to be more creative at the different spots. Like Branch and Harris, she can take opponents off the dribble and score in bunches, numerous big games in her initial high school season tells the tale on what I'm saying, not to mention being able to post up smaller guards. That, along with better ball handling and passing skills are added pluses.

I wanted to give a special S/O to these young ladies, primarily because I always preach working on your skills because when I evaluate players in different systems and settings, I always look for improvement along with upside for the next level and they have all continued to do just that.

With that being said, these three are still on point from those initial looks that told me I needed to keep an eye on them. Speaking of schedule's, I'll have the Cy Fair Evaluation Camp recap and "Tip Sheets" coming up soon