Tuesday, June 30, 2015

2015 U of H Camp closes with energy and excitement


Although the bad weather cut short day 2 of the University of Houston's  Elite Camp, I was there long enough to catch a glimpse of some exciting talent.  As I stated in the previous story, I wasn't there on opening day however I was overly pleased with what I saw on Sunday. Trelyn Tyler and Tiara Malone were down here in a tournament a few months ago with their club team in the Cy Fair Invitational and were impressive as the players somewhat mirror each other. Both are athletic, bring heat on both ends and can get to the rim and score or drop the midrange with ease


Sierra Cheatham was on fire from all over the floor just about every time I looked up, especially from long range and when that's falling, she's pretty hard to handle with her length and ability to get her shot off against just about anyone. Chatham won the One on One contest and mixed in some nice drives and continues to improve finishing with contact. Alexis Johnson also continues to blossom as she's becoming even more versatile as both the offense and defense were stellar on  Sunday, added muscle definitely adds to the problems she cause on both ends


Kalin Smith made the trip from Mississippi which happens to be the first "big word" I learned to spell but even bigger is the young lady's improvement on both ends from last season. I really liked the way she created her shot and she's playing with more intensity on defense. Already filled with intensity is Rayven Patin who shows me something different every time I see her play. First is was the passing and floor leadership, then the outside shooting but I'm really liking the heat she applies on ball and when you factor in both players are just finishing their freshmen seasons, that's pretty impressive


Kyndall Hunter and Shadiya Thomas were among the youngest players there yet did more than hold their own against the older players. Hunter (2021) has been featured on numerous Tip Sheets from already and will be on more times than her age by the time she graduates. You can't teach some of the things this kid has, she's legit. Thomas (2020) keeps moving up the charts and I see her adding a variety of moves to her impressive offensive arsenal that definitely has her in the mix of top 8th graders I've seen across the state