Monday, May 4, 2015

2015 May Houston 5th/6th Grade Tip Sheet #PrimeTime

GRACELYNN ALVAREZ (SHOOTING STARZ)

Since I've began covering Prime Time events, I've gotten a kick out of young players I had a chance to see before everyone else jumped on board and as the 2016 class is entering their most important summer, several of the top players in the country were spotted by me in the 8th grade at Prime Time Nationals. Lauren Cox, Natalie Chou and Jasmyne Harris all starred and were given high marks by yours truly, Cox and Chou not only made the USA team bu both are among the Top players in the country while Harris has been relatively unknown to many of the top programs in the country for whatever reasons however if you do your homework to prepare for the test, I'll always the Tip Sheet and that young lady is a legitimate Top 100 player nationally but what do I know

KAMI PHILLIPS (HOUSTON SKYRISE)


Last year at Prime Time Nationals I started the inaugural Fieldhouse Friday so I could take a peek at young talent from the 3rd grade on up, I've never heard of anyone doing that however I don't consider myself anyone and I love observing young talent simply because I sort of now where the bar has been set at various ages and positions, plus it gives me a kick to see the young kids get after it. Over the weekend, I saw four teams playing in the 5/6th grade division and I chose two players from each team to be on the Tip Sheet. I'll be tweeting about some of the other players throughout the week from all divisions so here we go

2021 

Gracelynn Alvarez-guard (Shooting Starz) Alvarez handles the ball well under pressure and zig zagged her way through the press amazingly and somewhat effortlessly. She does a good job getting to the rim and is mastering the floater. Huge upside and as she gets stronger over the years, you'll be hearing about her

Trinity Frias-guard (Pearland Hawks) strong and smart, Frias already is creating problems on both ends. She's good at creating her shot and getting it off against taller players. Also can take a lick and finish while attacking basket

Ashlyn Jones-wing (Houston Skyrise) I could have chosen a number of players from this group simply because of the improvement I've seen from many since the season started. Jones has so much energy and she's ultra athletic at a young age which is probably why she elevates over defenders with ease and is an and one waiting to happen

2022

Alyssa Berry-guard (Pearland Hawks) good range and ahead of the game as far as IQ. Did a good job at setting teammates up as well as doing it herself. Also did a good job on defense as she simply brought it

Angelina Garcia-wing (Shooting Starz) This kid was a Tip Sheet lock after watching her a couple of minutes because she simply played the passing lane and converted three baskets on a variety of shots. I can't stress enough how I love those who anticipate the pass, her length and instinct will take her a long way

Dariana Stockman-guard (Flight Elite) this team has talent galore but what got Stackman on here was watching her in the open court split two defenders and cross another for a basket. She is something to see not only attacking from the wing but in the open court, she actually takes Flight to an Elite status

2023

Kami Phillips-guard (Houston Skyrise) there have been a handful of players other than my daughter and Brooke McCarty I've called D1 locks this young but add this young lady to the list. She's one of the most poised 4th graders I've seen period and listening to her talk the game just blew me away. She attacks the basket relentlessly and her athleticism and upside will have college coaches blowing her phone up or whatever device we'll be using in a few years

Kenzi Mitchell-guard (Flight Elite) All I can say is that if I'm in a war, I'd want Mitchell to have my back, she is definitely a fighter. She's only in the 4th grade but I know this young lady is going to play at the next level simply because of her heart, her handle, her ability to get to the basket but on top of all that the fact that she is so vocal on the court and running a team as well as points on their way to college now