Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Monroe ignites Golden Eagles in D-17 win over Lobos


So many times I've left games over the past two seasons wondering why Jack In The Box stopped selling apple turnovers and one thing that drives me crazy is unforced errors over and over. Last night was not one of those games, in fact it was actually a pretty good game despite Cy Falls 10 point win (61-51) over Langham Creek. The Lobos actually led after one , 13-10, if you follow me on my now UNHACKED Instagram account, I posted several videos from the game as freshman Dyani Robinson helped get them going. Another key was the ferociousness of post Ugonma Ogbonnaya in the paint but when she got into foul trouble, things took a turn the other way

Daeja Monroe came off the bench for the Lady Eagles and hit two big threes and a layup to help them put this game almost out of reach, outscoring the Lobos 29-10 in the second quarter but Langham Creek simply wouldn't quit. Desiree White and Courtney Favor were hitting big shots to keep them close while another freshman, Briley Perkins put on a fourth quarter show to try and pull off a last minute run and she did on a variety of shots and spin moves. This is probably the best Langham squad I've seen in over 10 years and I'm talking about potential and when you factor in Kayla Owens isn't playing, next season they'll be in the mix




Right now Cy Falls wants to be in that mix and who knows, I called them the Bomb Squad a few years ago because of their multiple long range shooters that propelled them to state, well they have several that  can knock it down other than Monroe. Kiara McElroy steadily has come back from an injury, she can shoot it, in fact she has more four point plays than any player I've ever seen this century. Jae Branch just got back last night, she can drop em as well as others including Nia Fuller but Fuller's pull-up on the baseline probably thwarted Langham's last run

Joannae Taylor was, well Joanne and she led all scorers with 21 on a variety of shots and the good news is they were from everywhere but long range but she's another deep threat. I always say that the game starts at the one and I was super pleased at Daja Craft's ability to see the floor as well as Perkins handling the heat as a freshman and even more importantly, I didn't think of Jack In The Box nor turnovers after I left

BOX