Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Woodlands

George Mitchell founded the Woodlands back in 1974 and it now features a great shopping mall, seven golf courses and The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion to name a few. It also features a GBB team I have to go and take a second look at, The Woodlands High School. They return several All-District players including Paige Bradley, Anna Strickland and Sarah Seefeldt who all were named to first team squad, along with Kaitlyn Westfall and Ashlyn Hargraves who were named second team. Top that off with super soph Kelsey Lang, 6'4 Kelsey Lang that is, and I have to say this is one of the most impressive teams I've seen so far this season.

I know it's only the fall league, I know it's early, I know kids are in volleyball, I know the HS coaches aren't coaching, etc, etc, etc, but these young ladies put on a show. They can big, they can go small, they man-up and press and you know the rest, shoot the lights out. Bradley is a charter member of the bomb squad, kid can let it go. I really left being overly impressed with Strickland, who along with Bradley and Lang, attended the Ganon Baker Camp in College Station and will also be attending his event in South Carolina, he invites the top kids from each camp to attend his certified event. Strickland is a throwback to players of yesteryear, when they simply outworked you play after play. This is a very talented team.

After watching a new look College Park team last night, I will be hanging out a lot in that area this season, which is a good thing. The bad thing is I will be spending more money, at the mall and Landry's.