Monday, April 29, 2013

Overused terms "real deal" and "can't miss" like rankings don't really matter or do they


I was sitting here going over stuff and I actually had some good emails last week that made me think about some things I've mentioned many times before but here it is again. So many times folks get hung up the wrong the stuff in GBB when the bottom line is that if your daughter get's a free or subsidized education, you've won.

Do rankings matter? For the most part, they do because it gives colleges a gauge on where certain players are in comparison to others along with helping secure spots on certain teams, such as MDAA, WBCA, Parade or whatever but by that same token I've also had college coaches tell me they do their own homework and really don't look at them for players

I do my evaluating a little different and try to categorize players to where I think they can play at the next level from high D1 through D2 through NAIA, still it's only my opinion and even I'm not 100% right, just in high nineties.

I've had calls from parents telling me what their daughter does against the boys and after I see them play I'm asked my opinion. I tell the story of me going to the gym and scoring 30 against high school boys even though I'm over 50 and I'm talking years old and pounds overweight and let them know those guys can't play which is why I often use "It's not what you do, it's who you do it against"

Again the bottom line is to get a free education

With that being said, I'll finish up the Texas Spring Invitational this week along with a few other stories before heading back to the Dallas area this weekend  for the Dallas Spring Shootout