Saturday, April 28, 2012

Westside's Turner Leads Reign Of Terror

MADDISEN TURNER
Fallon Ellis and Kelsey Bone played with my younger daughter on the Houstonian's 10U team, they were eight and seven respectively and held what I thought was the record for the youngest players I had seen coming up other than my own kids. After further review, coupled with a solid nights sleep and the fact that things always pop in my head, it appears Maddisen Turner is. I met Maddisen when my oldest daughter was in the 8th grade, she was four and running around with a basketball towering over kids two and three years older. Technically she wasn't playing ball but I knew she would be a player since her mom was 6'4 and a star player in college, not to mention the first coach at Westside and the person who built that program from scratch into one of the top area teams

DANA SMITH
The younger Turner had a solid freshman season as she also plays for the Westside Wolves and looking at her and another freshman ,Helen VanBeck perform on the Houston Reign, I expect these twin towers to be doing a lot of damage during their next three years, both are a tad over 6'0, VanBeck is also a varsity player at Westside. Here's a wild card for you, Dana Smith is also from that 2015 class, she's also 6'0 and she also shows a lot of promise however she didn't play her freshman season for, you guessed it, Westside. Should she decide to play, that would probably wind up being one of the most feared front-courts in the area before they graduate as Turner is developing guard like skills and showing she can attack from the wing and hit the outside jumper consistently while the other two young ladies are doing damage in the paint.

MADISON AGUILERA


The Houston Reign and Gulf Coast Twister provided another exciting game and the Reign have several players that show a lot of promise from both the 2014 and 2015 classes. I'll get another look at them at the Houston Insiders Basketball Classic . It will be GPR certified which means I'll be covering it!

KRISTIN MILTON