Saturday, November 12, 2011

SBISD Tournament-Injuries Take Away Suspense


I don't believe I ever saw a trainer as busy as I did on yesterday in a local tournament. The good news is most of the players were able to return however a couple of keys weren't able to open the lock to begin with. Memorial almost upset Klein Forest opening day without Ellen Anderson and only lost by a point. One of the reasons was Olivia Podaras who scored 20 points however I didn't know she twisted her ankle in the last few seconds of that game and was in a boot for this tournament. Cy Ranch is without point guard Cienna Rivera who is also nursing an injury, so the addition of Sydney Coleman hasn't made the impact that it will once Rivera returns.


Memorial opened up the day by beating Cy Ranch as Kelli Wilson, Ellen Anderson and company set the stage for their rematch again Klein Forest. Although the Eagles were down against Langham Creek, they finished with a bang and Memorial had the opportunity to show that one point loss was a fluke and they could play with the big guns this season


Ebony Parker and Ekiyah Gray are legitimate next time players and had they not taken over the offense late in the second half, this game would have belonged to Memorial, without Podaras. Here's the question I'm asking myself. Is Memorial that good or is Klein Forest not as good as I thought and let me give an answer I would give if I was running for something. Klein Forest is just as good as I thought however the loss of Keylantra Taylor hurts even more than I expected however I am confident once district comes around, they will be ready. As far as memorial, they have almost upset one of my GPR Top 20 teams not once, but twice in a matter of a few days without a key player


Cy Falls started off slow against Klein and Westside however they wound up beating both teams by over 30. Kit Metoyer was in a zone yesterday, well so were most of her teammates but when multiple defenses can't stop her, you can almost forget it. Known as primarily an outside shooter in the past, she's know taking it to the rack and finishing on alley oops! This sets the stage for the championship between Cy Falls and Klein Forest. This I know for sure, the Eagles will win!