Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Just Play 14U #HoustonSummerSlam


 All I can say is WOW as I close out the 8th grade Division because there are definitely some heavy hitters coming up but just as important, countless players with next-level potential. In case you missed a loaded San Antonio Minez squad, you can read about them on Prep Girls Hoops but here ya go

Kate Earnest (2030) I was speaking with a parent before the game and he told me how well she could shoot the long ball. She dropped her first 2 and he just smiled at me. I don't know how many she hit but I know she will probably set some records she also scored off the dribble and saw the floor, her upside is very good

Ella Clark (2030) showed she could score around the basket multiple ways as well as off the dribble after contact but she saw the floor not only in the set but in transition too. Her defense was solid and she played  the passing lane

Reese Nguyen (2028) rebounded strongly on both ends but seeing her handle the ball afterward to start the break was nice. So was her seeing the floor or just keeping it to score by attacking the basket. She does a good job of creating her shot and drops it from mid to long-range

Maddie Bennett (2029) scored off the dribble from multiple angles using a deceptive first step but she also did a good job inside the paint by scoring around the basket or rebounding on both ends

Ahnoe Campbell (2028) showed me some progression since I first saw her a year ago and her interior defense has gotten better but so has her lateral movement to guard her man outside the paint. She scored inside the paint, rebounded strongly on both ends, and even battled for loose balls on the floor