Monday, February 19, 2018

Alvin and Langham Creek prove 4+4 = Elite 8


I caught Alvin back in FBISD Tournament against Crosby in the Consolation Simmies, okay semis and I loved their grit, they played smart, were well coached and the most important thing that somehow slips away, they played within themselves so needless to say, it was refreshing to see a throwback squad getting after it. Andreea Mancha always showed she could shoot the long ball and she's definitely on fire in the playoffs while Natali Miller's inside play as well as Brooklyn Sutton, Mariah Byrone and Madison Becker, who I teased about the TV show, all filled in many blanks as well as their solid bench play but to say I'm somewhat surprised they made it to the Elite 8 would be an understatement since I had Pearland as one of the teams that had a shot to get out of here. That shows one thing, well actually a lot of things but always remember, the game is played on the court and in the playoffs, anything can happen and finishing #4 in District 24 and making it this far is truly a major accomplishment


Langham Creek on the other hand really isn't surprising me that much at being a #4 and making it this far. I noticed many had them losing in the 1st round but  I didn't see that happening and I knew the 2nd round game would be close so here we are and when you play in the toughest district in the area, that sometimes helps get you ready for this right here. Langham has been battling with injuries to key players all season, Kaley Perkins, that 6'0 shoot the lights out freshman, is missing from the playoffs however her sister Briley Perkins and Dyani Robinson are two of the areas top sophomores, both are very explosive scorers that can create problems. Dezi White has always been in the mix since I saw her in MS and she and fellow senior, Mariel Wade have definitely stepped up to the occasion, Wade simply went completely off in the previous round and speaking of stepping up, Atlantis White, another talented sophomore, played  solid and as I roll back to the opening paragraph, within herself  so it should be an interesting game tomorrow as District 17 will send two teams to the R-3 F-4

BRACKET