Thursday, December 13, 2018

SA Islander star Claire Hale makes her next level decision


I remember the first time I saw the San Antonio Islanders play almost six years ago; there was something about that squad that kept me glued to them. They simply played within themselves , played great team oriented ball and played with a very high basketball IQ  and this also helped them knock off some of the “sneaker” squads along the way but the skill and talent across the board made them a must see team for me to catch. Fast forward to a new breed and one of the standouts that simply captivated me was Claire Hale who just played the game the same way over and over and continued to show progression each year




Hale could always shoot the long ball, well it got deeper over the years, her ability to create off the dribble as well as attack the basket for buckets also got better and her defense and rebounding also took off but what impressed me even more was she learned how to get hers in the flow or just take over when she had too and her unselfishness and ability to make her teammates better was huge as far as her growth.  Her Brandeis High School team is off to a 13-2 start and could definitely be a problem in playoffs and she has definitely made a major impact during her career there



After weighing her options and opportunities, Hale has decided to play for Trinity at the next level and the Tigers are definitely receiving a great student-athlete so I asked her what sold her on them and Hale said “Trinity is a perennial powerhouse in women’s basketball and I was drawn to that. My family and I  had a chance to meet with the coaches several times and she really connected with Coach Cam and Coach Shotland” . She also added “In September I  got to play some pick-up ball with the team and just loved it. Then when I found out that Trinity is the top ranked academic university in Texas I was very intrigued.”  She also stated   “I’m drawn to their STEM programs so when Coach Cam recently offered a spot on the team she felt like she had found a home.  I had several great offers from really good schools, but Trinity is home for now”