Saturday, November 11, 2017

D'Asia Collins starts season off with a bang and makes her decision



I simply love watching players that just have that certain “it” factor and you just know things will fall into pace for them. I guess the first time I saw D’Asia Collins was when she around 8 or 9 running the one and her BB-IQ as well as ability to comprehend things on the court told me she was going to make her mark and after continuing to progress and truly showing “size don’t matter” she helped lead Cy Ranch to their first state championship trip and finishing 2nd last season. This season, they’re off to a 2-0 start as they prepare for the Texas Invitational, one of the top events in the state and a possible rematch against state champ Duncanville.



So far Collins has filled up the stat sheet, opening with a double double against Dekaney, 12 points and 11 assists, and 2 rebounds shy of a triple double plus she added 5 steals and 3 blocks. Then she went completely off in a nail biter against Seven Lakes, scoring 24, which included 3-5 from NBA range but even more importantly than any of that is that she signed with the University of West Florida and after weeks of going over offers, I asked what made her choose UWF and Collins said “It was a very tough decision. I visited and spoke with numerous schools and really enjoyed talking with the coaches and some of the players that I met at those schools.”


Collins also added “They all treated me like I was their number one priority. Each school discussed how I could help them win the conference all 4 years and leave my mark on the university. West Florida was different they talked about how I could help take them over the top from their Elite 8 finish and help them win a National Championship. Winning the conference is important and something I plan to do each year, but having the opportunity to win a National Championship is something all college athletes dream of and I believe that UWF will provide that opportunity. “


One thing I know about this young lady, no matter what the situation is, no matter what setting I’ve seen her, even at college camps talking basketball and impressing college players with her knowledge and skill set at a very early age, Collins will get it done