Thursday, December 15, 2011

Middle School Ballers


I was headed out to Cinco Ranch to watch Bellaire take on the Cougars, game was moved up because the Cardinals don't have a freshmen team which got me to thinking what's going on with the younger kids. I have talked with several coaches from across the state who have told me several 5A schools didn't have enough kids to field the 9th grade teams and this will be a problem in the future


It occurred to me that a couple of kids on my middle school watch-list were going head to head so instead of the long drive through traffic, I aborted that mission to see the younger kids.


Janvier Branch is a gifted young player who has plenty of upside, she more than likely will play on someones varsity in high school


Kiora McElroy is one of the best young long range shooters, not as athletic as Branch, but also has plenty of upside. Both players led their teams in scoring on this day with 21 each and like Branch, McElroy has a good chance to be on someones varsity


I noticed other players on both teams who were raw and probably won't be ready for varsity or even JV  and I'm wondering what will happen to them if they attend a school that doesn't have a freshmen squad. I assume most will more than likely hang it up which is sad because there are several diamonds in the rough who don't shine until 10th and 11th grade.