Friday, October 14, 2011

DFW Fall Finish-Who Is That Driver?


When I do evaluations on players, I love seeing them in multiple situations such as on their high school and club teams because more time than not, they will be playing in different systems, so I like to see how they adjust because if they're fortunate to play at the next level, there will be an adjustment process. I also love seeing them in camp settings in order to break down their skill level, see their strengths and weaknesses and also see how much growth is left. Here I am, sitting in the stands watching this kid handling the ball like a yo-yo on whoever was guarding her at the time,while also throwing no look bullets between 2 or 3 defenders with her right hand. I'm thinking to myself, that's impressive. When she started to do it with her left hand, I had to find who she was.


Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce 5'2 freshman Tana Driver from Midland High School. The thing I like most about Driver is her heart, confidence and knowledge of the game. Don't get me wrong, I love showtime because it's good for the girl's game, if it's in the flow, and Driver's knowledge has what she doses working in the flow of the game. Even though I liked her a lot during the camp, I needed to see her in game situation and I wasn't let down. She can run the break, attack the basket and shoot the three and although she may not grow much more in height, she will grow into a next level player.