Sunday, January 31, 2010

What Does Winning Mean?



I sort of dance to my own tune and some folks have problems with that, which is okay with me because it's my tune plus I look at things in a different light. I remember going to the Chronicle a few years ago, probably five or six, about doing a story on Lee High School Girl's Basketball, which hadn't won a game in years and even though Lee was playing 5A, they didn't have enough players for a JV or Freshmen team, in fact only seven (7) players were on varsity.



Fast forward to now, 2010 and with all the negative publicity Lee has received over the past months, from the kid who alledgedly hired classmates to kill his mother, the boy's team losing to No. 1 ranked Yates 170-35 and to the school struggling academically, Lee stands tall, and with a change in the administration, Paul Castro, former principal at Westside High School, hopefully something positive will happen.





For the girl's, the losing on the court continues, they were handled with ease by Yates yesterday however I can't say enough about kids who go out and compete, knowing beforehand they are going to get beat and probably by a huge margin, yet they still go out and give it their all.


During the Yates game, the girl's were totally exhausted by the fourth period, but they started and finished the games with only five players, FIVE players. Yates girl's, like their boy's team, is athletic and plays uptempo, this game was no different and I believe the above picture says it all. That picture also says something else, you all are winners.