Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sandra Meadows- Desoto Wins Silver In Another Major


Before the season, I called the back-court tandem of Jordan Jones (Texas A&M) and Bryce Owens ( New Mexico) one of the best in the state. This had nothing to do with Jones becoming an Aggie or Owens playing for me in the summer, GPR is a no spin zone and if I say it, that's what I believe and more times than not, I'm right. Much more! After a second round loss to Plano West, the Lady Eagles got back on track to capture the Silver in the Sandra Meadows Classic, something they also pulled off in the Texas Invitational


Looking at who they've lost to, Plano West, Duncanville and Cedar Hill prior to the injury to Alecia Smith, all three are contenders in Region 1. They also lost to Cy Falls, one of the teams to beat in Region 3, while defeating one of the top teams in Region 2, The Woodlands, which happens to be their region. Pflugerville, Dekaney, The Woodlands and Desoto are four of the top teams that I've seen in the region


Should Desoto and Dekaney win their districts, they would be on a collision course to meet in the R2 semifinals and there's a good possibility that could happen providing both teams stay healthy. Oh, back to Jones and Owens, both were named to the Sandra Meadows All Tournament team and I think they have their sights set on going out with a bang