Saturday, June 11, 2011

NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK

Last weekend I saw one of the best 5th grade teams I have ever seen and believe me I have seen some great ones. I never got the specifics I needed however I was told they finished in the Top 10 at AAU Nationals last season. Throughout the years there have always been young kids that hadn't reached middle school that stood out, especially for their knowledge of the game, speed and athleticism. To have multiple players that are RFPT right now is simply amazing.


The kids traveled from New Orleans and let everyone know it was all business. As one fan blurted "Ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun", I couldn't help but chuckle, simply because it was funny, several people were asking what it meant and I had never heard that before. So many times kids peak early, athleticism and height aren't a factor in high school and several other variables can be placed in the equation where the superstars of yesteryear become average players. This squad could potentially break the mold and it will be fun watching their progression.



Speaking of progression, Tyra Cormier has come a long way from the last time I saw her. If she keeps growing and improving, she has a chance to add her name to the list of dominant "bigs" that have come through the city. I caught a glimpse of Taylor Johnson for the first time and although raw, something tells me to keep an eye on her.